The Arbor’s mission is to change the lives of children with special needs through early intervention and individualized educational programs. Our vision is to provide hope and opportunity for any child with developmental delays, regardless of their severity, to reach their fullest potential.
The Arbor School is a one of its kind program in Houston that provides an intensive educational program with a 2:1 or 1:1 student/teacher ratio for children with all forms of developmental disabilities, birth through age twelve. Our vision is to provide hope and opportunity for any child with developmental delays, regardless of their diagnosis, to reach their fullest potential.
The Arbor’s program is based on the belief that all children have an extraordinary capacity to learn and will realize their greatest potential in a structured, purposeful learning environment and uses an individualized education plan that:
• Emphasizes the mastery of skills and knowledge appropriate to each child’s capability;
• Works from research-based curriculums and methodologies;
• Is family-centered, supporting the family in its efforts to meet their child’s developmental challenges;
• Utilizes an activity-based approach to intervention by embedding each child’s goals and objectives within routine, planned, or child-initiated activities that are motivating and developmentally appropriate;
• Incorporates methods and strategies from Applied Behavior Analysis;
• Involves cross-disciplinary participation. Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy are available on campus, combining educational and therapeutic approaches in meeting children’s individual goals and objectives;
• Maintains a low student/teacher ratio of approximately 2:1 or 1:1, necessary for maximum achievement;
• Integrates and emphasizes the use of assistive communication technology in order to achieve optimal results.